Pinter's never offered an aesthetic defense of his poetry, and I can
scarcely speak for him, but I'm not sure that he would be able to deny
that these political poems are any more or less "radically useless" in
the sense that lyrical poetry is "radically useless" as you define it,
Alison. His political speeches and essays may be another matter, but I
discern in Pinter's poetry that same linguistic project that appears in
his plays, decontextualized from the dramatic form. It may be bad
poetry, though I don't find it so. There is an emotional harshness in
the plays just as psychically violent and crude as in the poetry,
especially when embodied on stage, when the ambivalence of the
reader/writer relationship is more physically expressed with those
embodied words. I don't see a difference (from a linguistic point of
view) between this, in "Mountain Language":

"Who's that fucking woman? What's that fucking woman doing here? Who let
that fucking woman through that fucking door? ... What is this, a
reception for Lady Duck Muck Where's the bloody Babycham? Who's got the
bloody Babycham for Lady Duck Muck"? (Scene 3)

And this, in "American Football":

"It works.
We blew the shit out of them.
They suffocated in their own shit!

Hallelujah.
Praise the Lord for all good things."

And so on. It may be the formal decontextualization of the second (the
same linguistics, on page instead of on stage), that renders it more
crude, less nuanced. But I'm fully convinced that this is just as
radically useless, in the sublime sense in which we're talking about it,
as any other lyric.

--

George Hunka
http://www.ghunka.com