----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominic Fox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: down with the down with poetry crowd

>> Yes Dom. It all goes back to Homer.
>>

> Sounds like the apostolic succession to me.
>
> Dominic

I bought Alain de Botton's 'Status Anxiety' as a light read before Jared
Diamond's 'Collapse' and Robert Putnam's 'Bowling Alone' and have just
started it and it seems pertinent.

No acknowledged poet of either mainstream or innovative has ever bestowed
the mantle 'poet' on me so I would shrivel if ever called to account at the
Pearly Gates. It is not a word I could use to describe myself, particularly
now that I have practically stopped writing. I think Halvard's description
'writer' would have been more appropriate for me. But I havent got the gift
of language so I must always fall down at the first hurdle. It will be
interesting to see what Alan has to say to me. But I am really of the lowest
status.

Regarding Homer I was killing two birds with one stone, but now I must go to
the football results whilst crowing at South Africa's first innings score.

Cheers.