----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:20 PM
Subject: Re: Canadian music on BBC2

> 4. Tomorrow, Friday night, I have Prunella Scales playing Old Man Bach and
> telling his lifestory to cello and harpsichord accompaniement. It was to
> be her husband Timothy West, who is Patron, but he is in a play in
> Birmingham I believe. Fred Beake says she came to read some poems in
> Torquay recently and was very headmistressy so we will see how it goes.

Just reporting for Joanna...

I think John Butt devised tonights programme. He is giving a lecture on Bach
tomorrow (he is Profesor of Music at Glasgow and has been a lecturer ar
Berkeley and Cambridge) and has given an organ recital. Tonight he was
playing occasional pieces on the harpsichord but the night belonged to the
great American cellist Raphael Wallfisch and the sublime Prunella Scales.
Prunella would read a relevant text to Bach's life then Raphael would play a
piece on the cello ( a very special cello given as a prize at the Paris
Conservatoire and on which the winner gave the first performance of St Saens
cello concerto) mostly being from the suites.It was tremendous for me
sitting in the front row only a few feet from the principals and the playing
of the cello was an absolute dream. Truly a lovely evening in the Banqueting
Hall of the Guildhall. Tomorrow night it is the Mass in B Minor in the
Abbey.