What will be Salisbury's revenge, I wonder?!

It doesn't seem to be quite as decorous, not to say smug, a city as it was
when I grew up there, attended the very ladylike girls' grammar school, and
emerged unable to say boo to the proverbial goose (even if I could have
identified it ....). Now I am 63 I don't care any more, and it's *such a
relief.

Would you tip Roger and Judy for the responsible ones, in spite of Judy's
lost passport? Robin and I are hardly safe to cross the road alone -- we
don't look where we're going, and wave our arms around when we talk -- I've
a sort of memory of a broken wine-glass, but I don't *think I was the only
culprit. Waiters and waitresses etc, mostly foreign and well younger than
our several children, regarded us with what seemed to be an almost
affectionate indulgence, and the taxi-drivers were without exception
splendid. (Growls: There weren't any taxis in my day ....)

Oh, and Judy trimmed Robin's beard. Very brave of her (!), and he certainly
looks a lot neater now.

The thing with the cathedral guides was the clever-clever with the mediaeval
Latin. If they are going to go translating it, they should at least get it
right. Considering my father trained most of them, I did feel justified in
making the occasional correction; but I did do that bit quietly. Roger and
Robin were taking a census of the carved animals beneath the feet of the
Crusaders on top of their tombs, and I was finding a memorial brass with,
would you believe, rabbits on! (Judy was off seeing about a hire car; she
has longer in Salisbury and will see these things later.)

Also, as is my habit in such places, I lit a candle for Art, in of course
its widest possible application.

If anyone's interested to know about a second-hand bookshop with a brilliant
poetry section, we found one at 38 Winchester Street, Salisbury, SP1  1HG,
on line at www.ellwoodbooks.com  Poetry's a particular interest of the
proprietor.

No, seriously, we didn't stop talking for 5 days, and not on the sorts of
subject commonly discussed in cathedral city pubs. Only snag was being away
from reference books and internet. So all being well the gabfest is due to
transfer itself up to Darlington for a few days in a couple of weeks' time.
Which means I shall have to tidy the house, sort all these papers lying
around, and sweet-talk Roger into vacuuming the stairs first. Oh, and buy
some more wine-glasses ....

joanna