Okay here's a problem.  I really like this passage.  To me it's a poem
or better than a poem.   I love all this stuff & the sound of everything
& the proper names & manic instructions.  The thought of 404 individuals
reading it is also marvellous: I will listen.  I don't see how poets
could be in any way better.  I don't even see how poets reading poetry
could be better.  What am I missing Trevor?  Is it just well, we're
poets, so wouldn't it be fun if we got together and did this?  But might
recognisability take the fun out of it: or isn't part of the fun of this
just simple human curiosity & the differences within the recognisable
range of human voice?  It's an interesting thing.  Maybe if I go there
I'll be able to answer my own questions.
Mairead

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/19/05 11:14 AM >>>
> This site examines the accented speech of speakers from many different
> language backgrounds reading the same sample paragraph. Currently, we
> have obtained 404 speech samples.
>
> http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent/

A fascinating range of audio files of accented readings of a single
paragraph:

> Please call Stella.  Ask her to bring these things with her from the
> store:  Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue
> cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob.  We also need a small
> plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids.  She can scoop these
> things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the
> train station.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a similar site with many voices
reading the same poem? But which poem?

Best,