This is a lovely story, Hal, about discovering the Hilda Moreley poem. I
have always been taken by the way the poem or novel may be brought either
freshly back into light, or first discovered, in contexts that are not
aligned with "where I usually do my reading." (Kitchen table, living room
table, or this often godforsaken iMac Monitor - where,ironically, it's a
delight to read the Hilda Morley poem and your note!). I suspect each of us
could write small histories of discovering poems in unexpected places. I
always hated reading novels in college - the pressures, etc. - and I was a
very slow reader. But I remember the great pleasure of reading Faulkner's
Light in August while hitchhiking around Crete in August of 1972. There were
probably 5 cars and 10 trucks on Crete then! Sitting on my backpack for long
periods in the August heat were entirely compatible with reading Faulkner's
prose. I will never forget it.
Or then, recently, finding a copy of William Carlos Williams' ND Selected
Shorter Poems on the street, apparently dumped, the acid-filled paper a
lunch bag brown, taking it home and reading it aloud in the kitchen to
Sandy, my partner, my voice felt like I was rescuing those wonderful poems
back from the dead.
When Momo's Press went out of business in the mid-eighties, and I had lots
of inventory, as some kind of odd, populist missionary, I would occasionally
place books on benches and ledges and sidewalks through out the City -
hoping that other folks might have a similar sense of surprise, taking joy
or some kind of mystery in reading a poem by someone, say, - Victor Cruz, or
Jessica Hagedorn or myself - of whom most had probably had never heard - as
such would still be true of 99% of those who write contemporary poems with
usually such small readerships, no matter intense our immediate communities
of attention.

Thanks again, Hal.

Stephen V
Blog: http://stephenvincent.durationpress.com