Hmmm.

Thanks, Sharon and Deborah, for your responses.

Judy, neither Randolph nor I have any desire to censor this list - we all
wander enjoyably off-topic at times, and that is as it should be - but we do
assume that people will exercise basic courtesies in posting.  Messages
posted to this list go out to more than 200 people.

I've been on this list since its inception (and no, people have not, to my
knowledge, been leaving - us listowners get little notices when that
happens...) The heteronym/alternative personae thing turns up regularly in
cyberland and is, frankly, a little tired... As does the protest "why not
press the delete button?" when list members object to their bandwidth being
clogged -  I have been troubled recently however by the feeling that your
posts have been inhibiting other discussion; even more so when such
discussions prompt mockery or outrage from one or other of your personae.
It does, from this end, look rather like trolling.

I'm not interested in entering extended discussions on your right to
self-express; but I will point out that membership of a listserv is not an
inalienable right. Perhaps some of the things you wish to post might belong
better on a blog, where people can choose to visit.  I will take your
apology at face value and hope that you listen to the requests of your
fellow list members.

Best

Alison

On 22/8/05 3:45 AM, "judy prince" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Deborah, in addition to my feeling that I choose to continue whatever it is
> I'm trying to express in my messages that you don't like, as well as those
> you do like, I'm telling you that making a person feel that it is better to
> stifle herself, for the sake of others, may lead even more people to drop
> off the List, as they apparently have.  What can be the good in such an
> atmosphere?

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com
Editor, Masthead:  http://masthead.net.au