Thanks for that, Jon - it's one of my favourite Thomas poems.

Don't know if I agree with some of Sitwell's comments. For example, that he
knew he must die young. It seems a romantic gloss in hindsight... I did have
the very strong feeling, after reading his collected poems, that Thomas'
failures - and they were on the whole magnificent failures - were to do with
how he glimpsed and denied certain realities in his poems.  The energies in
some of his work seem to me rather like those in Van Gogh's paintings,
primal and inhuman and ultimately terrifying.

His best poems, like this one, are the ones that face that inhuman
bleakness. And I think this is a very bleak poem indeed, for all its
richness; I think it's a refusal of all those religious imageries it uses so
lushly, disdaining them as false comforts that "murder the mankind of her
going", as blasphemies which deny that "unmourning" cycle of nature and our
own mortality.  I take the last line as saying something absolute about
finitude.

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com