-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc provides a venue for a dialogue relating to poetry and
poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anny Ballardini
Sent: 10 January 2005 22:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ancient technique

Hopefully I didn't scare anybody, or was not too abstruse. The writer gives
for granted that _painting_ is an ancient technique (tecnica antica, this is
what he says), and is talking of two performances that took place at a
gallery at the opening and closing of the exhibit. I was quite surprised
that painting could be considered _ancient_, and was asking the List if you
agree or disagree.

Painting takes time, a longest time, and a lot of practice to get to
passable works. But this does not mean that painting is not used any more,
even if at galleries it is much easier to find : installations, performances
as in this case, videos, photographs, collages, and what else. You often
have to go to a Museum to find some wonderful paintings.

So it is true, that painting is an ancient technique. I just didn't realize
it until now.

___or even an ancient technique like painting___

I am translating, and here I am writing the above words. Which evidently
struck me. Who dis/agrees with this?
The topic pivots on performance, or contemporary arts in general.

Anny Ballardini
http://annyballardini.blogspot.com
http://www.fieralingue.it/modules.php?name=poetshome
The aim of the poet is to awaken emotions in the soul, not to gather
admirers.
Stalker, Andrei Tarkovsky