Thanks for the response, Doug.  One of those two Canadians, Louis Cabri,
made effective use of the situation by immediately launching into a
performative sound poem centered on "pho(n)(e)" in which his mouth assumed
a much closer relationship to the microphone than that taken by any of the
other presenters.  No generalization about the event as a whole has yet
come to mind, but I felt it was worth attending for my initial sampling
from 17 poets as well as another hearing of Aaron Kunin's "The Sore Throat"
(which seemed even better than when I first heard it).  Surprising enough,
the event was over in 90 minutes even though there were actually 22
readers.  Barry Alpert