At 04:51 AM 1/22/2005, you wrote:
>Excuse me, I feel really dumb - but I've been reading all these knowing
>comments on MFA & its courses for some time now, but just what the hell
>is MFA? ....
>My best guess is Master of Fine Arts. What a weird title, if this is true!
>mj - who made up one of the above, natch

The very same.  It's no weirder than the designation Ph.D.  Doctor of WHAT
philosophy?  I worked in English Literature.  Philosophy was not
required.  Maybe I was supposed to philosophize?  If so, bad luck, I faked
'em out.  Physicists also get a Doctor of Philosophy unless they get a
D.Sci.  I know there is a philosophy of science out there but most people
I've met with doctorates in "hard sciences" and engineering were too busy
being driven into the ground by their committees to worry over the
philosophical struts of their disciplines.

MFA used to cover the visual arts.  I suppose a "normal" MA should suffice
for writers but somehow MFA got assigned to imaginative writing as well as
painting, printmaking, photography, etc.  In fact I think some universities
Stateside in fact DO give MA degrees in writing but the MFA has become the
gold credential.  I have no idea how any of this started.

I work with a man at Sarnoff who has a few years on me, perish the
thought.  He has a BA and Ph.D. in Physics from Princeton University, and
an MFA from the same institution.  I once asked him what he did to earn an
MFA.  "Oh, nothing.  They gave it to all of us before we finished our
dissertations."  Do I understand this?  Maybe Physics also is a fine
art.  In fact, probably, if it is parked in the right mind.

Ken

Kenneth Wolman  www.kenwolman.com               kenwolman.blogspot.com

"This is the best of all possible worlds only because it is the only one
that showed up."-- Russell Edson