My experience is something like this. I'm an intensely social being, living
for some years now as something of an isolate. When I find myself in
congenial company I quickly revert, and the transition back to solitude can
be painful. It usually takes no more than a day. Driving cross country solo
has been a favorite adventure for me since my twenties, despite that first
painful day, which gives wy to an intense, often ecstatic, feeling of
freedom. I rarely listen to music (same at home, though right into my
thirties I don't think I had a waking moment without music), but the
internal monologue flows on,  often including music that I've pretty
thoroughly absorbed. Then come the moments when something surfaces without
words, or with words that make no sense to me. I assume that this is what
imposed or self-imposed silence is about. The question becomes, still, what
's different between doing this in a group or by oneself. I'd guess, for
instance, that in a group there's an awareness to be overcome (or perhaps
embraced?) that the silence is a social act, to be acknowledged and
renegotiated every time one encounters another what, communicant--the
presence of others very much a part of one's internal environment. Is
silence in that environment (as in, say, a Cage concert) its own kind of noise?

Mark