From: Plagiarism [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George
MacDonald Ross
Sent: 19 April 2005 10:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How low can it go? Oh, much much lower!

I don't disagree with Mike. It is a grey area, with only a few instances
of nearly pure black, and the actions of both staff and students need to
be taken into account. I wrote rather forcefully in my article, because
it was directed against a small minority of academics who deny the very
concept of plagiarism. In my view, this undermines the HE project of
getting students to think independently.  I have come increasingly to
believe that students are encouraged in bad academic practice at school,
and that the key to addressing the problem lies in inducting students
into good academic practice from the moment they enter university, and
in ensuring that all teaching and assessment fosters good practice. This
requires much more radical change than adding bolt-on skills modules, or
issuing students with handbooks. As Mike says, the resolution will not
be as soon as we like.

George.