Some thoughts about proposals:

Yes, I think that judges always have to judge and designers always have to
propose.  And at whatever depth of agency, the designerąs role is to help
get us from here to a more desirable there.

But how does one know a good proposal from a bad one or a better one?
Should we just submit our briefs like lawyers to the judge?

I think one of the remarkable characteristics of a good design proposal is
the way that it seems to be an answer to so many of the interests and
concerns at play, and all at the same time.  Usually it takes a series of
intermediate proposals, which are good answers to some of the needs, to
evolve into a more integrative proposal that satisfies a significant
majority of the needs simultaneously.  Getting a two-for in designing is
nothing.  How about a ten-for as an indicator of incipient success?

I donąt think design processes can proceed without the willingness or the
ability to make proposals, and I donąt think its possible to make perfectly
resolved proposals at the beginning of a process without a celestial
connection of some kind. Proposals in design processes of any complexity are
quite naturally and regularly subjected to evaluation against the forces
that are driving the process, whatever we call them - needs, interests,
concerns, desires, fears, beliefs ­ as the process unfolds.  These are
forceful, directional drivers, alive and present, and parents to the
process.  I donąt think itąs possible to represent the wonder of the highly
integrated proposal without referring to the way it satisfies, is successful
and resolves the significant.  Whether arguing a proposal backward or
forward, it seems unlikely that one will be able to avoid meeting the
parents.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry Diethelm
Architect - Landscape Architect
Planning & Urban Design Consultant

    Prof. Emeritus of Landscape Architecture
           and Public Service
    2652 Agate St., Eugene, OR 97403
    €   e-mail: [log in to unmask]
    €   web: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~diethelm

    €   541-686-0585 home/work 541-346-1441 UO
    €   541-206-2947 work/cell