Re: Intention argument and the Diving Analogy Dar Glenn,

I an no clinical psychologist, but this is silly...

Just because you receive some divine inspiration in your sleep does not necessarily mean that your subconscious is not engaged in an active process of design, one that is clearly located within your own corporeality, and not passed onto to you as a lightning bolt of inspiration. I have never had any inspirations of the type you are talking about that are not already tied to some process I am already consciously engaged in. It makes perfect sense to me that when I am asleep, all of the distractions caused by bewildered students, fellow peers, and intermittent phone calls that seem to plague my waking hours all interrupt a clean and focused stream of through or concentration on a design process. In my sleep my sub-conscious wanders and is free to find associations and relations that I have not clearly or coherently been able to determine in my conscious mind during daylight hours. This does not mean that it is separate from a design process centred around ‘intent’.

And as a side note, I often wonder whether these kind of ideas actually are our ‘best’ ideas, or whether this is some myth and/or fallacy that is perpetuated by designers whom aspire to divine inspiration in order to avoid committing to hard work. I have had a lot of students over the years whom subscribe to omnipotent intervention, waiting until the last minute to pick up a pencil let alone design. Their excuse is always, “I was waiting for divine inspiration.” This does not make them designers, just lazy and ignorant.

My two cents worth...