Hi Fil, Jan and Terry,
There is an interesting systematic means by which design occurs that includes moving from what I would term the "known" ( planned elements, intent, knowledge, systems applications) into the "unknown" ( intuitive, artistic creativity, the <to-be-designed> aspects that we cannot "know") and back again...this is at once "systematic" but also requires a certain amount of suspension( of rational mind) during the process. I would include here that design , to provide the "making a plan" a solution), must also be evaluated( or judged) in its capacity to provide the "right" means to an end ( the outcome of the design problem or issue at hand), which we can try to predict but we cannot always know - witness the recent landing of the shuttle Discovery.

I am working on this aspect of design in my own work, and in more laymens' terms, if we consider design as a process rather than one or the other approach, meaning that the design process is iterative and contains both "known" and "unknown" aspects systematically studied, then it contains both intuition and intent.

my two cents worth....
( not a scientist!!).

Regards,
Tiiu Poldma