Dear Ken, Terry and others.

Maxine Sheets-Johnstone listed "embodied connectionism", "embodied
mind",  "embodied schema",  "embodied agents",  "embodied actions" and
others, as examples of how "in this sense, the term "embodiment" is a
lexical band-aid covering a 350-year-old wound generated and kept
suppurating by  a schizoid metaphysics."  Wonderfully phrased I think
and words that will make sense to me until I meet, in this world, a
disembodied mind.

Like Terry, I have a broad background before studying industrial
design. I am a trained potter, at that time a 4 year apprenticeship,
and like Terry I am skilled in many different  areas, maybe not as many
and as impressive as Terry's, but still!  What I have taken from the
pottery and into what I consider my design skills is the ability to
naturally think in three dimensions. The fact that things have insides
and outsides, as well as backsides and whatever, has been incorporated
into my "body of knowledge" so to say, and in design school it was
visible in my projects, compared to projects of my fellow students who
came from more two-dimensional "pen and paper based" backgrounds. This
example I can verbalize, but I am pretty sure that it is not the only
skill from my dubious past that has has an effect on my design skills,
whatever they are

For my research now, tangible interaction design, I could not have
chosen a better background, can you imagine anything more tangible?

Cheers!

Mads

Mads Vedel Jensen
Ph.D Candidate, Msc