Better late than never, I hope; I'd like to comment on Paul's message
about designers' engaging in change.

I agree with Paul that there are many non-designers who are essential to
actually bringing about the change that designers 'design'.

A very crisp distinction exists in engineering, where the engineering
designer often works with manufacturing experts to come up with
products.  The designer addresses function, form, usability, etc, and
the manufacturer figures out how to actually made the thing.

In some (many?) design disciplines, there is no clearcut division
between design and -- let's call it 'implementation'.  But I do believe
that even if one person does both design and implementation, there are
two quite distinct roles that the one person assumes.

Of course, there's others too, as Paul notes, but they *influence* the
design and implementation rather than being
directly/completely/essentially involved in it.

As such, designers are "visionaries" and "planners" in that they have to
envision an appropriate solution and then contribute significantly to
devising the means of bringing that vision about.

Because of this role, designers in engineering have often been seen as
essentially a "hidden cost" of product development.  There's this crisp,
boxed up flowchart for the product development process -- in the middle
of which is this fluffy cloud called 'design'.  Ick.

The engagement that Paul and Rosan write about is important, imho,
because no matter how good a designer may be at communicating his/her
vision, the communication is always somewhat imperfect.  But by engaging
-- which I take to mean getting involved in the implementation -- the
designer can provide nearly constant feedback about how the
implementation compares to the vision.

As an added bonus, the involvement in implementation can impart very
important experiences to the designer that will feed forward into future
design work.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering