Dear all,

Here are some of my thoughts. As Rosan suggests:

"first, for the overarching category, we put big ART AND DESIGN (at its
best)
second, underneath it, we place subfields such as system design, HCI,
engineering design, etc
third, we should all read William Morris. someone mentioned before that
Morris understood design as "Art for People", and i think we might
re-interpret this and produce new design scholarship by drawing upon
many sources available to us, including your 'design as service' ".

I do recognise that artistic and scientific approaches are two main aspects
in DESIGN, and so do many other disciplines such as geography, cartography,
etc. But in DESIGN, I see them both as sitting on a parallel level. One must
not overpower the other in a design outcome.

your thoughts?

-Chris Kueh
Curtin University, WA

Get your mobile ringtones, operator logos and picture messages from MSN
Mobile http://msn.smsfactory.no/