From: Charles Burnette [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: design awards and meassuring design quality

Soren and John:
Having been a juror in several awards programs as well as an observer Let me
offer the following: Design awards are primarily promotional programs aimed
at making design more visable to potential clients and the public, and to
make designers feel better about themselves if they win. (For those who lose
it is usually a defensive, expensive, devisive and hurtful experience.)

As John points out the design promotion organizations use awards programs to
promote design, often very effectively ie: The BBC televised program in
England and the IDEA/Businessweek collaboration in the states. Despite the
effort to build solid information on important dimensions of design quality
(such as usability, market success, etc) to guide the jury (as IDSA has
attempted to do) submissions are usually hard to compare on an objective
basis, and they certainly don't profile the field with any accuracy. (IDEO
for example has such a good strategy for winning awards and for self
promotion that you can tell which are their submissions without
identification - they also happen to be very good designers.)

Conclusion: the best design award program is the one that can garner the
most favorable publicity for design, designers and their promotional
organizations.

Best,
Chuck