Dear colleagues:
I am looking forward to Wonderground but I am wondering how we have
come to the point in our design research community where we have to
complete a full paper in order to be considered for a conference. In
my professional association, the College Art Association, which is at
least seventy years old, papers are accepted on the basis of
abstracts. The conference is also divided into sessions and session
leaders get to choose the abstracts. The assumption is that
professionals are very likely to develop a good paper from an
abstract and need not have their final paper reviewed and possibly
rejected. I wonder whether or not the call for completed papers in
order to be considered for a conference is a dis-incentive to some
people who don't want to spend the time on a full paper without the
certainty that they will be able to present it. I'd like to call for
a session on the selection process, which would be held at the
Wonderground conference. I'd like to make my argument there for a
different way of organizing such events.
Victor Margolin
University of Illinois, Chicago
--
Victor Margolin