From: Harrison-Stone, Susan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 November 2005 09:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: job rotation

My company are asking me whether we should have a defib on site and I was wondering what everyone thinks about this equipment and procedure coming into the area of occ health.

  1. I am concerned about the cost of buying this equipment and the overall cost of maintaining the machine.
  2. Who should be responsible for it.
  3. Who is accountable if it is used.
  4. How often should the staff who use it be retrained.  I seem to have read somewhere that crash teams need up dating every 3mths in a hospital setting.
  5. How effective is it as a procedure.
  6. Given that this site uses chemicals and tests equipment albeit in special chambers so that if they explode staff are not injured!! and we are 25mins away from a emergency response ambulance I should balance this against the first 5 points

And does the RCN cover the use of such equipment outside of the NHS by an OHA.

Any thoughts advice etc would be helpful from the group.  To think way back in the era of matrons I was just given the defib and told to get on with it, and did without a moments thought, and was the first nurse in my training hospital to use the equipment!

Thanks

Sue