I remember looking into this about 5 -7 years ago and the only research I could find was that it reduced sickness absence by less than 1 day per person. Working on those figures, we could not cost-benefit the giving of flu vaccines. Sorry have no idea where I got the research from now.

It is not just the cost of the vaccine itself, but clinical and admin time. Additionally, where as an OH department you are not immunising normally, the insurers get really twitchy about it. It is also time that could be spent doing those other jobs that are always waiting in the piling system.

Personally, I agree with Caroline's point regarding stocks of vaccine and prioritising the needy. Is it ethical to divert supplies of vaccine away from those in need, for commercial purposes?

This is not the first time we have had a flu vaccine shortage, although with the media anti-Labour government frenzy that appears to be going on at present you would think it was.

From: Caroline Russell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 November 2005 08:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Flu Vaccination : Is It Neccessary?

Hi Ibrahim

I have to admit this is a real soap box topic for me. I always remember a colleague in Communicable Disease Control telling me that our own immune system is far more efficient in fighting the influenza virus than the vaccine and there is no indication for giving it to healthy individuals. I understand that the Joint Committee for Immunisation does not advocate giving the vaccine widely either.

I find this a moral issue personally, particularly given the shortages in supply for those who really need it. I'm inclined to agree with the American view point but given so many of our clients like 'having things done to them', whether they need it or not would love to see some good research that backs up widespread vaccination.

Over to the group!!

Best wishes

Caroline

Caroline Russell ARRC RGN BSc (Hons)