Hi Rosanne & all,

I think that what you have brought up is a pretty interesting point.

Just for the moment, I would like move the discussion away from the
Banff 'conference/get-together', not only because I was not present
(amongst shape-shifters of media consciousness), but because I feel that
there is a larger picture that needs exploring in a pragmatic sense.

Lately, we have been interested (at furtherfield.org) in visiting net
art and media art exhibitions and reviewing them, so to bring about in
contributing in some way approachable critiques/dialogues to a wider
audience beyond the confines of 'peer review' alone. In a sense, we are
from our own perspective, reviewing peers and their work, which can put
us in an awkward position and it is not necessarily introducing a
perfect paradigm. Yet, we have felt that it is important for someone to
actually make an effort in reviewing this stuff and offer potentially
different perspectives, that bring an alternative view point to the work
that does not exploit or over use, already defined histories and
protocols. This can sometimes (not always) block understanding the
authenticity of a work.

We feel that engaging in the materiality (stuff), as in the context,
contemporary concepts, notions of what the creative group or artist is
trying to communicate and explore through the chosen medium, mixed with
their voice/intentions, is an essential part of seeing what is there-
and sometimes it is important for us to put aside our own baggage (as
much as possible) so to acknowledge the various nuances that are at play
in such works.

We recently visited an exhibition (Ruth Catlow & myself) and decided to
create a collaborative review/article of the Low-fi exhibition of net
art commissions, which opened during the Edinburgh Festival (finished
now). It was a rewarding experience and we will continue visiting other
venues around the UK (and elsewhere if asked), and write reviews that
will be featured on furtherfield and other appropriate
sites/publications accordingly.

So, if you are interested - some info below:

Low-fi gets physical at Stills - Low-Fi.
Artists/groups in the exhibition: Kate Rich, Radarboy, UK Museum of
Ordure's (UKMO, Mauricio Arango, James Coupe & Cavan Convery.

Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=157
Mazine:
http://www.mazine.ws/Low-fi

Also would be interested in discussing further ideas around reviewing
similar works on venues and public environments.

thanks everyone

marc