Andreas Broeckmann wrote:
> one thing that the Refresh! conference has made clear is that we
> are in need of a lot more rigorous scholarship in the history of
> media art and media technologies, scholarship that does more than
> blindly and uncritically celebrate any mediocre, so-called creative
> application of such technologies as 'art' - and scholarship that
> places media-based art in its techno-historical, art historical,
> social anthropological, etc., context. that's simply - work to be
> done. and i get the feeling that the use of the term 'new media'
> mostly signifies a laziness in thinking. the term is just too broad.

It's pretty hard to argue with that, I think Andreas makes a very
salient critique.

I would like to add, though, that the technological blindness comes
as much from the art world as it does from those creating works with
new technologies, if not more so. (And here we might consider a
certain amount of further confusion at Refresh! over whether we were
discussing "new media-art" or "new-media art".) The permanent
collection at ZKM, for example, brilliantly highlights the works that
stand the test of time due to their creative ideas and those that
simply look terribly outdated because of their reliance on the
technology of the day. So, on the one hand, I would argue for more
rigorous approach to the creation or curation of works as well as the
scholarship of studying them. On the other, I still think it is
incredibly important to play and make mistakes in the creation of
work in this area as it is still the best form of experimental
discovery in such an immature field. But play, of course, is my
complete bias.

Best,

Andy

Andy Polaine