Dear List

I am with CARCC, CARFAC's copyright collective, and I
am the one who suggested Kim write to the list.  As
Kim says, the present CARFAC fee schedule, that CARCC
uses daily for its members' copyright licensing, and
which is used as a reference by many out there in the
arts community, doesn't adequately deal with web-based
art.  The problem here is not the sale of the work,
nor the exhibition of the work, it is archiving. The
pricing of works for sale is not CARCC's concern. We
understand an exhibition of web-based works to be an
exhibition like any other, and as such exhibition fees
should be negotiated with the artists involved.
Archiving is another matter.  Yes, archiving is a
service to the artist. It also benefits the
institution that archives, and it is an educational
service and a source of pleasure/interest etc. for the
using public.  It is these last that define the
archive as copyrightable, something for which fees
should be paid to the artist.

The arrangement between the artist and the institution
doing the archiving is one of
a. permission to store and maintain the work;
b. permission to provide public access to the work
without the framework of an exhibition (that is, no
interpretation, no advertising, no invitation to
activity concerning the work, no publication, etc);
c. the setting of conditions concerning what access is
available to the user.  For still images, CARCC asks
the user (ie the person responsible for the website)
to inform the public that the work is copyrighted, to
provide only low-resolution images and so on - piracy
protections).  For an archived web-based work similar
conditions might apply.
d. setting limits on the duration of the licence.  At
CARCC we do not like endless licensing, but we know
that it is desirable in some situations.

I think that a proper fee structure can be developed.
Recently someone suggested a model akin to that of the
'amateur porn pricing scheme' that Saul Albert
mentioned.  It really isn't a bad idea for an archive
to base fees on the number of hits a piece receives.
If the archive is to last for an indefinite period of
time, it is impossible to say now what the presence of
a piece might be worth. The number of hits is
measureable, at least. The nature of an archive is to
hold a large number of works - it would be impossible
for projects like Kim's to pay fees at the level of
exhibitions, and not very fair to the artists to base
a fee on those we use for still images.  Our fees for
video on the web are quite outdated and out of range
for archiving projects - they are priced by the
second.  And, as Johannes Goebels said, duration is
not applicable to much of net art.

Thank you all for your most interesting comments - I
will put them into the mix as we continue to look at
the problem.

Janice Seline
Director
Canadian Artists Representation Copyright Collective
Inc.
www.carcc.ca