Dear Marc, all,

maybe some of you have already heard of the REFRESH! Conference
(http://www.MediaArtHistory.org), which we are presently organizing
together with the Banff New Media Institute, Leonardo and other
partners.

Integrating documentation/preservation into the conference concept
was one of my main goals:
We will try to bring together those researching and teaching digital
art scientifically with those, who work scientifically in the field
of documentation. Full of hope we are suggesting to found an
international meta-database project/movement, where as many of our
partly highly specialized initiatives as possible could be part of.

The idea is to draft national and international applications
together. But we will discuss these matters at the conference and the
following summit in Banff in detail.

Best regards,
Oliver

---------------------------------------

Hi Martijn & list members,

I have been following this debate which has been extremely interesting
and useful for various reasons, not only here but also on Empye
regarding archiving/conservation.

I agree with much of what Martijn has suggested and definatley will have
a look at V2_'s project 'Capturing Unstable Media', with interest.

Perhaps we need to open things up a bit more here, and actively put
forward a more decentralized project (for all) that involves, not just
singular groups within their own nation(hoods), in respect of collection
of mass archivable data and works.

Server-linked collaborations - of archiving, with as many cultures as
possible. So that better funded, aggressive or more pro-active, archives
are put on the same level as less funded groups and organizations. This
will then offer a real chance for those who have not yet been seen by
dominant organizations be part of an archive that is international and
truly networked. Thus collecting work, not fitting into any specific
criteria or national or local politics, canon firing or restrictions.
Individual groups can link from outside these large data-bases, and
still promote whatever they need without the worry of being drowned out
by non-curatorial processes.

I think that decisions on these levels, need to be adressed and dealt
with so that there is a more consciously interactive process of mutual
exploring and solving of such problems in regard to archiving.

marc
http://www.furtherfield.org
http://http.uk.net/