Dear list.

As a start for the new year I might be able to provide a tip, related
both to work and pleasure, that might be a good combo for the
subscribers to this list.

Take some time, maybe a weekend or a few days off, and go to Malmo
and visit the current Electrohype exhibition in Malmo Konsthall.
First I have to say that I am of course not the right person to give
this recommendation since I both organized it and curated it together
with my colleague Anna Kindvall. On the other hand, after having read
the list for a couple of years, I think this exhibition could be
interesting for many of you to see. The exhibition is a concrete
example of presentation of new media/electronic/ computer based art
(or what you would like to call it) in a very established art
institution. The exhibition presents artworks of 25 artists and
artists groups, ranging from newbies to famous people. The exhibition
is presented in the main space of Malmo Konsthall, a surface of 1500
square meters. The works included in the exhibition are created from
1960 to the present.

In my opinion, if you have a real interest in new media art, the best
way to promote it and give this genre more focus and hopefully more
resources is to bring it out "in the open". For Electrohypes part we
managed to move the biennial from a warehouse in the harbor to one of
the most established art institutions in Scandinavia within less than
five years. One thing that has been useful in this process is to
focus outward, toward the general art audience.

The first large exhibition we organized in October 2000 had 1200
visitors during five days, a number that made us really happy back
then. When I was stopping by at Malmo Konsthall last Monday we the
numbers read 17450 for one month. I have no intention about bragging
with these numbers I just would like to point out the importance of
presenting new media art in a context were it gets the audience it
deserves.

Ironically the process of moving this art genre from the warehouse to
the salon will not benefit us as an organization, due to narrow
minded politicians, but hopefully it will benefit the genre and give
it the place it deserves, side by side with other art forms.

So if any of you are stopping by Malmo, before January the 23rd (last
day of the exhibition) please feel free to contact us for meeting,
guided tour, or just an informal talk. There are lots of things to be
said about the process or realizing the biennial, but instead of
bombarding you with text we encourage people to ask specific
questions.  We are in Malmo most of the time apart from the period
jan. 12th -16th (putting up another exhibition). Travelling from
England and the continent to Malmo is both easy and inexpensive. Just
look for flights to Copenhagen (ranging from 50 -150 euro) and then
go by train from Copenhagen airport to Malmo, it less than 30
minutes.

Links:
http://www.electrohype.org/
http://www.konsthall.malmo.se/

Best regards.

Lars Midboe
If you encounter problems with this mail address please notify me at
Lars Gustav Midboe  <[log in to unmask]> www.electrohype.org
  Electrohype office +46 40 780 20      mobil/tel:+ 46 705  198817
  Electrohypes kansli 040 - 78020         mobil/tel:+  0705  198817