apologies for cross-posting.

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 2:59 PM
Subject: Urgent Petition - please sign (fwd)

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I urge you to sign the following online petition against the
criminalisation of peaceful student protesters by Lancaster University:

   http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gfox6/

I personally think it is shocking that the university insists on
persecuting its own students for peacefully protesting against links
between the university and arms producers, chemical manufacturers and
oil companies. The university's reasons for pressing charges of
'aggravated trespass' are spurious at best. I was teaching in the
building throughout the protest and can confirm the protest took place
only in the lobby of the building, and that the protesters later moved
outside to continue their protest. Users of the building anywhere other
than the lobby were unaffected. Rather than intending to 'intimidate,
obstruct or disrupt' as the Criminal Justice Act 1994 describes the
offence, I believe these protesters intended to educate, enlighten and
raise awareness, entirely appropriate activities for a building named
after the founder of the Quaker movement.

You can find out more about the protest and subsequent action by the
university at
http://www.free-webspace.biz/GeorgeFox/index.html
or in the latest issue of SCAN (p3),
http://www.lusu.co.uk/scan/news/georgefox6.html

In addition to signing the petition, I urge you to write to the
Vice-Chancellor (Prof. Paul Wellings), stating your concerns about the
university's suppression of free speech, and to pass this e-mail on to
your friends and colleagues.

Thanks,
Johnny.

--
*J W Unger*

Dept. of Linguistics and English Language
Lancaster University
Lancaster
LA2 0JU

Tel:(+44/0)1524 593848