http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/opinion/2005/May/opinion_May13.xml&section=opinion&col=
WHAT is terrorism? Who is a terrorist? A definition is hopeless, says Professor Richard Rubenstein of the Centre for Conflict Analysis and Resolution. "Terrorism is just violence you don’t like". The lack of agreed definition means no one really knows how to fight the war against terrorism — apart from demonising Muslims and introducing anti-terrorist laws that steadily erode our hard won civil liberties and lead to imprisonment of innocent people.

Instead, governments, in hand with the media, concentrate on scaring the daylights out of us with stories of terrorist cells in our urban midst, terrorist poison plots and ‘dirty’ atomic bombs. There is also a lot of ignorance about Al Qaeda.

After listening to a Professor of Islamic Studies lecture to an Australian think tank about terrorism, I asked him, "What exactly is Al Qaeda?". He thought for a while and replied, "a franchise operation". I agree. The idea that Al Qaeda is a global organisation with coordinated global aims and branches everywhere is ludicrous.

Even the Western media has moved away from this view but it still talks about ‘terrorist’ organisations having ‘links to Al Qaeda’ without ever telling us what those links are. Phil Rees, a documentary filmmaker has spent a lot of his career doing stories on terrorists, or, as he would prefer to call them, militants.

He says ‘terrorist’ is a term employed by governments to denigrate those who adopt violence because there is no other way to make their voices heard. He says it is important for journalists to report the views of terrorists, to try to understand their motives. He denies the charge levelled against him that "to do so legitimises that violence and suggests a moral equivalence against terrorism and those who combat it."

He scoffs at the former New York Mayor, Rudolf Guiliani, for his statement after 9/11: "Those who practise terrorism lose the right to have their cause understood. We’re right, they’re wrong. It is as simple as that." "No", says Rees, "it is not. The public should be informed about the causes of violence and be allowed to decide for themselves who is right and who is wrong."

This is a view that any serious minded journalist must support. Their reasons for terrorists choosing the path they do are depressingly similar. They feel that they have been oppressed, slighted, exploited and scorned by the West, particularly by the United States, its allies and the corrupt local regimes imposed on them. They say that it is the governments of the West that are the real terrorists. It is a fact that the USA and Israel are bigger killer of civilians that their ‘terrorist’ foes. So why don’t journalists describe them as terrorists too?

"If we don’t want to describe Britain and America as terrorist nations, then the only principled alternative is to purge the word from the lexicon of journalism", Rees says. This is a good suggestion but I suspect that Rees knows this is not going to happen. Instead the failure to define terrorist is being used as a cloak to legitimise American military aggression because it portrays the challenge as such a loosely defined threat that it will never disappear.

In his book, Dining With Terrorists, Rees writes, "By being unable to explain exactly who is a terrorist, the ‘war on terror’ can mutate into a war against any ideology that challenges America and her allies. Terror can become a code for opponents who question the status quo and a catch-all for ideologies as diverse as Islamic militancy, emerging nationalism or anti-globalization. The world is in danger of accepting the confused idea of an endless conflict against an undefined enemy".

Covering this never-ending war on terrorism is posing an enormous challenge to journalism. The media is finding it increasingly difficult to remain an impartial observer. The New York Times, a voice of liberal America, accepted during an internal enquiry that it had reported stories in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq that ‘pushed Pentagon assertions so aggressively you could almost sense epaulets on the shoulders of editors.

Rees says the anti terrorism policies of Western governments are restricting the journalist’s role as an impartial observer. "The world will become a more dangerous and less understood place if journalism takes sides in the ‘war on terror’." I wholeheartedly agree.
Phillip Knightley is a London-based journalist and widely published commentator

 Yahoo! Messenger  - want a free & easy way to contact your friends online?