	***This is a message from Media Workers Against the War***

	1) Britain's Police State: The cry now is "treason" or the Star
	Chamber revisited (13 August 2005)

	2) Welcome to Liberal Terrorism (7 August 2005)

	http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=BOW20050813&articleId=835

	Britain's Police State: The cry now is "treason" or the Star Chamber revisited

	Secret, judge-only courts where the accused has no access to the
	'evidence'? Changes to the law will include making it illegal to
	advocate violence to further a person's belief, justifying or
	validating such violence, or fostering hatred.

	by William Bowles; Globalresearch.ca; August 13, 2005

	Under the Lords Chancellor Cardinal Wolsey and Archbishop Cranmer
	(1515-1529), the Court of Star Chamber became a political weapon for
	bringing actions against opponents to the policies of Henry VIII, his
	Ministers and his Parliament. Then, under James the 1st and Charles
	the 1st, the Star Chamber Court sessions were held in secret, with no
	indictments, no right of appeal, no juries, and no witnesses. Evidence
	was presented in writing. On October 17, 1632, the Court of Star
	Chamber banned all "news books".[1] Sound familiar?

	"This is a moment to seize. The Kaleidoscope has been shaken. The
	pieces are in flux. Soon they will settle again. Before they do, let
	us re-order this world around us."
	Tony Blair @ the Labour Party Conference, October 1st 2001

	Tony Blair tells us that "Let no one be in any doubt. The rules of the
	game are changing", but whose changing them and whose 'game' is it?
	[2]

	The cry of 'Treason', is after all, the logical conclusion to a policy
	based upon demonisation of the 'other' and the latest sign of a ruling
	class in desperate need to justify not only its onslaught on the
	people of Iraq but the attacks on our rights and liberties. Not
	surprisingly, the bombings of July 7 and the 'topping up' of July 21
	came in very handy in the run-up to the cry of 'treason!'

	The terrible irony of our current situation is that although the state
	is undergoing an unprecedented crisis of credibility because of its
	policy of allying itself with the US imperium, there is no real
	domestic opposition. So what is it that the state is allegedly so
	afraid of?

	What should not be let out of our sight is the fact that unless the
	domestic population is presented with a 'clear and present danger',
	the state faces the real possibility of a genuine opposition
	developing to its policies. This is the real danger. For the reality
	is that it is precisely the policies of Blair's government along with
	that of the US that is the cause of the current situation.

	Hence the need to continually up the ante, and thus, the danger is now
	'amongst us' and who better to use as a target than not only the
	'alien', the Asian, but also an 'alien' religion, one that still has
	its more traditional adherents who insist on treating women as
	property - hence the hijab becomes overnight, a symbol of all that is
	alien to our alleged British values. Modernity versus tradition become
	ideological weapons of the state even as it turns the clock back to an
	earlier age of naked imperialism! These guys know no shame.

	The key to understanding the tactics of the Blair government are the
	phrases, "The British way of life" and "British values", catch-all
	phrases that are, by themselves completely hypocritical, especially in
	the context of the concerted propaganda campaign of the past three
	decades that centred on the creation of an allegedly multi-cultural
	Britain.

	Thus whilst the 'experts' thrash around looking for a clear-cut
	definition of 'Britishness'

	"To be British seems to us to mean that we respect the laws, the
	democratic political structures, and give our allegiance to the state
	in return for its protection," the group declared.

	"To be British is to respect those overarching specific institutions,
	values and beliefs that bind us all, the different nations and
	cultures together in peace and in legal order.

	"To be British does not mean assimilation into a common culture so
	that original identities are lost."

	Declares the government-backed study, the Life in the UK Advisory
	Group, the obvious fact of a country where racism is institutionalized
	- admitted by the government's own investigations into the Lawrence
	murder - at every level - from education to the police, apparently
	escapes the notice of these 'experts'. [3]

	Moreover, that the self-same government that has waged wars of terror
	and mayhem against the populations of Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq
	over the past decade and a half, now talks of making people whose
	religious and cultural beliefs have become the object of a vicious
	campaign to marginalize them - 'British' - is laughably pathetic not
	to mention the height of a very British brand of hypocrisy that
	conveniently airbrushes out centuries of colonial pillage and slavery
	that is the real backdrop to being 'British', at least as the
	government's definition goes.

	And lest anyone think that this propaganda war is an off-the-cuff
	affair, a 'knee-jerk reaction' to July 7 as some mainline commentators
	have suggested, look back to the kinds of phrases that Blair has been
	using in his speeches for the past four years since 9/11 - "We will
	build a new Jerusalem", an echo of the post-war Labour Party of
	Aneurin Bevin and the use of words like "virus" and "inoculation" to
	describe the "war on terror". And of course the latest, the "struggle
	against violent extremism".

	"…a new and deadly virus has emerged.

	The virus is terrorism, whose intent to inflict destruction is
	unconstrained by human feeling; and whose capacity to inflict it is
	enlarged by technology. This is a battle that can't be fought or won
	only by armies. Our ultimate weapon is not our guns but our beliefs."
	Tony Blair's speech to the joint session of Congress, 18 July 2003

	Blair's PR machine is working overtime, for there can be no doubt that
	the use of an entire etymology, set into specific contexts, is the
	work of PR companies, motivational 'experts', indeed the entire
	panoply of opinion shapers used by modern capitalism.

	Here it is that the poison is incubated. Here it is that the extremist
	is able to confuse in the mind of a frighteningly large number of
	people, the case for a Palestinian state and the destruction of
	Israel; and to translate this into a battle between East and West;
	Muslim, Jew and Christian - Tony Blair

	But at the heart of Blair's propaganda blitz are age-old themes,
	patriotism, tying together the justification for waging war on the
	civilian populations of defenceless countries to an alleged desire for
	peace; the continual hyping of the 'human rights' message even as it
	strips them away; themes that can be found over and over again when
	preparing a domestic population for war on something or other,
	normally another country but by no means exclusively so as any reading
	of the present and the past so clearly demonstrates.

	The spread of freedom is the best security for the free. It is our
	last line of defence and our first line of attack. In some cases,
	where our security is under direct threat, we will have recourse to
	arms. In others, it will be by force of reason. But in all cases to
	the same end: that the liberty we seek is not for some but for all.
	For that is the only true path to victory. - Tony Blair

	The most popular motif is one of race, from the 'dastardly Hun' of WWI
	through to the 'yellow peril' of WWII and all the stops in-between.
	The parallels between the propaganda of the Nazis and that of
	Churchill who thought nothing of gassing Iraqis, are no mere
	coincidence, for the populace must be persuaded that killing people in
	the name of 'freedom' or justice requires more than an appeal to a
	person's sense of what is right but that 'our' killing is somehow
	better than 'theirs'.

	"[Germans] combine in the most deadly manner the qualities of the
	warrior and the slave. They do not value freedom themselves and the
	spectacle of it among others is hateful to them."
	Winston Churchill, speech to the House of Commons 1943

	"We have got to be tough with Germany and I mean the German people,
	not just the Nazis. You either have to castrate [them] or you have got
	to treat them…so they can't go reproducing people who want to continue
	the way they have in the past"
	Franklin Delano Roosevelt, August 19, 1944

	"From September 11th on, I could see the threat plainly. Here were
	terrorists prepared to bring about Armageddon."
	Tony Blair, March 5 2004

	"Why the little yellow bastards!"
	Time Magazine 1941, following the attack on Pearl Harbour

	We wage war to bring peace, except the peace never comes, it serves as
	a prelude to yet more wars and now, "perpetual war".

	Muslim communities have turned out in force at large anti-war demos,
	but few have attended local meetings, for fear that they would be
	identified to the police, especially in the context of anti- terror
	laws. This fear has limited the social integration of migrant
	communities through the anti-war movement, and will continue to do so
	as the anti-migrant backlash ensues. The UK government will now step
	up political surveillance of migrant and Muslim communities through
	police informers, thus intensifying the current fear.
	Campaign Against Criminalising Communities (CAMPACC) [4]

	In order to do this it is necessary to first dehumanise them; thus the
	use of words that do just this; fiends, animals, beasts and so forth.
	Thus the slaughter can proceed with no inconvenient moral qualms about
	our actions as these 'beasts' are less than human, thus unworthy of
	all those 'rights' our government is busy stripping away, layer by
	layer in its quest to eradicate allegedly, the "virus" in our midst.

	And with death squads now appearing on our streets, there can be no
	doubt that Blair has brought the 'war' home and with the help of a
	totally complicit media in tow, only too anxious to prove just how
	patriotic and 'British' it is, nary a word to the contrary appears in
	the mainstream press, for fear of being branded 'un-patriotic' or
	worst of all, giving 'aid and comfort' to a vicious enemy. [5]

	Thus was the cold-blooded murder of Mr De Menezes justified, whether
	innocent or guilty, his death was 'unfortunate', he was, as the front
	page of the Independent informed us, "in the wrong place at the wrong
	time" just as the tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis were no doubt,
	also 'in the wrong place at the wrong time'. Tough luck Mr De Menezes,
	Mr and Mrs Ali, it's all for the greater good, 'our terror is better
	than the terror of the enemy'.

	That it has escaped the notice of the corporate/state press that the
	actions of the state are in fact worse than those of the bombers
	should be apparent (to anyone who cares look) whether it be from
	30,000 feet up or at point blank range on the Northern Line, for ours
	has the sanction of the state and in defence of Blair's spurious
	claims to be defending 'freedom'.

	Treason therefore, is the next logical step in the escalation of the
	state's war on its own population; the logic is inescapable, for in
	order to justify its attacks on our right to dissent, it is necessary
	to widen the meaning of what it is to be a dissenter, a process that
	has no effective end, for ultimately, to protest against such widening
	of powers itself falls under the heading of dissent. It's Joseph
	Heller's 'Catch-22' with a vengeance, the vengeance of an all-powerful
	state.

	And for those who defend this 'temporary' restriction on our rights,
	let them remember that throughout history, unless one defends and even
	fights to broaden our civil rights, once abrogated, there's very
	little chance of regaining them, it's a vicious circle of repression,
	just as it has been since 9/11. Yet there is no evidence that the slew
	of repressive laws has done the slightest thing to alter the equation
	of terror, indeed it can be argued that it has had the opposite
	effect, simply by criminalising an ever wider swathe of those who are
	now branded as terrorists or 'terrorist sympathisers'.[6]

	Notes
	1. See Wikipedia entry: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Chamber
	2. Statement by Prime Minister (5.8.05):
	www.statewatch.org/news/2005/aug/02pm-terror-statement.htm
	3. Forty-five race murders in Britain since the Macpherson Report -
	   Figures released today by the Institute of Race Relations show that
	   there have been forty-five murders with a known or suspected racial
	   element since the publication of the Macpherson report in February
	   1999:
	www.irr.org.uk/2005/august/ak000005.html
	4. See 'We are all 'terror suspects': The 'War on Terror' at home
	5. UK: New special forces unit tailed Brazilian (Jean Charles de
	   Menezes shot dead by police on 22 July 2005):
	www.guardian.co.uk/print/0%2C3858%2C5254652-103690%2C00.html
	6. The price of a chilling and counterproductive recipe - Tony Blair
	   cannot be allowed to sell our rights and freedoms, Shami
	   Chatrabarti (Guardian, 8.8.05):
	www.statewatch.org/news/2005/aug/shami-chakrabarti-Guardian.pdf

	http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2005-08/07adamovsky.cfm

	Welcome to Liberal Terrorism

	By Ezequiel Adamovsky; ZNet; August 07, 2005

	The United Kingdom is the cradle of liberalism and, indeed, one of the
	places in which Western civilization was born. Britons often take
	pride in the fact that the protection of individual rights and
	liberties does not even need a Constitution in the UK - such is the
	strength of liberal culture and values in the British Isles. Moreover,
	unlike the situation in the US, British society has the reputation of
	being fairly tolerant and multicultural.

	But then Scotland Yard executes Juan Carlos de Menezes - a Brazilian
	immigrant mistakenly assumed to be a terrorist - according to a brand
	new principle of the police: first murder, then ask. The logic of this
	principle is impeccable: if a Muslim fundamentalist is ready to become
	a human bomb and kill himself alongside thousands of people, we might
	as well kill him before he can trigger the bomb he carries. But, of
	course, as there is no time to arrest that person so as to check if he
	is really a terrorist - and not, say, a Brazilian worker on his way to
	his job - we must be ready to accept some "collateral damage."

	Jack Straw made it very clear when he apologized before the Menezes
	family while supporting the behavior of the policemen involved; the
	first-murder-then-ask policy, he announced, is still applicable, which
	means that we all need to accept the fact that the police now have the
	right to murder without any motive or proof (not to mention a fair
	trial).

	We are in a war against terrorism, you see. Without knowing it, that
	morning Juan Carlos de Menezes had lost his right to have his life
	protected from the state. It seems that the dozens of laws, the
	division of powers, the traditional system of checks and balances, the
	accountability of state officials and other liberal devices are not as
	useful when it comes to defending the life of the weak, as they are
	when it comes to protecting private property. Indeed, Juan Carlos had
	no security for his life, but, ironically, the Menezes family seems to
	have retained the right to financial compensation for the "tragic
	mistake" - as if it was a car accident or some other incident that
	damaged their "property".

	Is it the end of liberalism, as some analysts argued? Are we in the
	brink of loosing the values of Western civilization and sinking again
	into barbarism, as some journalists fear? As seen from the periphery
	of the world, there is nothing really new in the rapid extinction of
	the right to life in Britain. In the unstable and violent peripheries
	that capitalist expansion created, individual rights are more often
	the exception than the rule. Perhaps the only novelty in these affairs
	is the fact that globalization is indeed blurring some (and only some)
	of the distinctions between the core and the periphery of the
	capitalist world-system. As in Franz Fanon's dreadful prophecy, the
	violence of capitalist expansion, initially imposed upon the "wretched
	of the earth", is finally reaching the whole of humankind. Yes, we are
	talking about state terrorism, but now in the heart of the Empire.

	What we are witnessing in the Scotland Yard murder, and in Abu Ghraib
	or the Guantánamo prison tortures, is not the end of liberalism, but
	rather the revelation of its dark side. In the margins of Western
	"civilization", liberal politics and liberal terrorism have always
	revealed themselves as twin brothers.

	Centuries ago, in the formative period of liberalism, John Locke
	argued that human beings only become part of civil/political society
	after having been properly "educated". Children, idiots, and those who
	do not display "reason" in general cannot give their "rational"
	consent to a political authority. Therefore, they need to be excluded
	from social/political life, and to live under someone else's authority
	(that is, they enjoy less or no rights). The problem arises: Who is to
	decide that somebody is not "rational" enough?

	In the lack of definition for this question lies the ideological core
	of liberalism: where theory does not decide, (liberal) social
	conventions govern. The history of the idea of civilization betrays
	this ideological "second life" of liberalism. In the liberal ideology
	and in the narrative of civilization, the key to each person's place
	in the gradient of inclusion-exclusion lies, precisely, in his or her
	degree of "civilization". As we have all learned at school, the
	civilizing process originally expanded from the city to the
	countryside, from the upper to the lower classes, and from Western
	Europe to the periphery. Indeed, "civilization" still refers to the
	manners and customs of the upper class - as Norbert Elias has argued -
	to a "rational" and politically acceptable ("civil") behavior, and to
	a high degree of economic and cultural "progress", all at the same
	time.

	In the unacknowledged logic of ideology, by default, all three
	meanings are supposed to come together. If all three elements -
	Western/white/bourgeois customs, political rationality, and wealth -
	are not evidently present in the appropriate measure, our place in the
	gradient of inclusion-exclusion will depend on the degree of
	civilization we are able to demonstrate. And the burden of proof is
	always on those who do not seem civilized in the eyes of those who
	obviously are. Failure to show an "anthropological minimum" in the
	eyes of the civilized may result in partial or total social/political
	exclusion.

	Translated into social practices, the "script" of civilization
	implicit in liberal politics gives the civilized the right to claim
	control over some or all of the aspects of the life of those who have
	"failed", including their autonomy, political sovereignty, economic
	way of life, and freedom. The war on Iraq is a good example: as the
	Iraqi could not live according to Western-capitalist expectations,
	they needed to be "helped" (and/or bombed, if they put up any
	obstacle). Before the war started, the honest working people in Europe
	or the US did not actually know if the Iraqi were "rational" enough or
	not; but as their country was poor and backward", and their customs
	were not quite "white", many of them assumed that some degree of
	(forcible) "help" was acceptable. And if any of them refused to be
	helped, well, that was still another proof of "irrationality". Enter
	the bombs.

	Something similar happened in the case of Juan Carlos de Menezes:
	Scotland Yard agents did not know whether or nor he was an
	"irrational" fundamentalist; but the fact that Menezes was not quite
	white or rich induced them to think that they could overlook his
	rights for the sake of national security. Juan Carlos carried the
	burden of the proof, and he had no time to prove that, despite being
	dark-skinned, foreigner and poor, he was not an "irrational"
	terrorist.

	The problem is not just one of reactionary Texans or a traitor New
	Labor in power. Capitalism (and its ideology, liberalism) are taking
	away our rights, including the right not to be killed by the state for
	no reason. In times of a permanent global war, liberal (state)
	terrorism is here to stay. As a Latin American, there is one thing I
	can tell you: We should fear state terrorism more than anything a
	bunch of fundamentalist bombers might do.