*From todays globalecho !*

*Robert Fisk: America slowly confronts the truth
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6022>*
The old media dog sniffed the air, found power was moving away from the
White House, and began to drool
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6022

*Dahr Jamail: "Pacified" Fallujah
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6021>*
Yesterday morning on NPR (National Pentagon Radio) their reporter in
Baghdad was asked if he felt what Mr. Bush said in a recent speech was
true-was the US military strategy in Iraq working? He replied that he
felt what Mr. Bush said was true in some cases, like in Fallujah. The
NPR reporter referred to Fallujah as "pacified."
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6021

*Isabel MacDonald: MINUSTAH in Cite Soleil
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6020>*
Luckson Docius, a 48-year old metalworker who supported his family of
seven by making saucepans was at work on November 24 when a bullet fired
by a UN "peacekeeper" working with the UN Mission for Stabilization in
Haiti (MINUSTAH) ripped through the metal wall of his studio and killed him.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6020

*Anatol Lieven: Decadent America Must Give Up Imperial Ambitions
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6018>*
U.S. global power, as presently conceived by the overwhelming majority
of the U.S. establishment, is unsustainable. To place American power on
a firmer footing requires putting it on a more limited footing. Despite
the lessons of Iraq, this is something that American policymakers -
Democrat and Republican, civilian and military - still find extremely
difficult to think about.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6018

*William Bowles: On the road to Damascus
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6016>*
Oil in the next war will occupy the place of coal in the present war, or
at least a parallel place to coal. The only big potential supply that we
can get under British control is the Persian and Mesopotamian supply
.... Control over these oil supplies becomes a first class British war
aim - Sir Maurice Hankey in 1918 and Britain's First Secretary of the
War Cabinet
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6016

*Daniela Estrada: Media Democracy Must Sprout From the Grassroots
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6017>*
Civil society must lead the democratisation of the media, an issue that
was barely touched on at the recent World Summit on the Information
Society, said participants at an international meeting in the Chilean
capital.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6017

*Zen Toro: Death Before Dishonor
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6015>*
I cannot support a msn [mission] that leads to corruption, human rights
abuse and liars. I am sullied," it says. "I came to serve honorably and
feel dishonored.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6015

*Mike Head: Australian government insists on sedition clauses in new
terrorism legislation <http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6013>*
Organisations to be outlawed and individuals jailed for "urging
disaffection" with the government or expressing sympathy for resistance
to Australian military interventions, such as the one currently underway
in Iraq.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6013

*Elizabeth Wilmshurst: It is time for Britain to come clean on its part
in rendition <http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6014>*
Allegations about the use of British airports to refuel CIA planes
carrying terrorist suspects to countries where they are to be
interrogated and tortured raise the question whether this has anything
to do with us. Why should the UK be involved or concerned?
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6014

* Patrick Cockburn: Military progress claimed by White House is an
illusion <http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6012>*
The Iraqi armed forces on the ground in Baghdad look very different from
the encouraging picture of them painted by President George Bush. Its
men are often packed into pathetically vulnerable convoys of ageing
white pick-up trucks.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6012

*Ziauddin Sardar: The next holocaust
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6011>*
Islamophobia is not a uniquely British disease: across Europe, liberals
openly express prejudice against Muslims. Do new pogroms beckon?
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6011

*Chris Floyd: Masked Man
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6009>*
The recent revelations about the virulent spread of death squads
ravaging Iraq have only confirmed for many people the lethal
incompetence of the Bush Regime, whose brutal bungling appears to have
unleashed the demon of sectarian strife in the conquered land. The
general reaction, even among some war supporters, has been bitter
derision: "Jeez, these bozos couldn't boil an egg without causing
collateral damage."
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6009

*John Hepburn: GM Rice No Solution To Poverty And Starvation
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6008>*
World Food Day, which was celebrated recently, is a time of year to
reflect on where our food comes from, on the abundance of food for some,
and the lack of access for so many others. It is a time to reflect on
the history of food, and the future of food.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6008

*Gabriele Zamparini: The Face of War
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6007>*
It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but
an act of murder. - Albert Einstein
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6007

*Mike Whitney: Riding with the Bad Boys - The rise of Iraqi death squads
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6006>*
The New York Times confirmed today that the "Iraqi (security) forces are
carrying out executions in predominantly Sunnis neighborhoods."
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6006

*Philip Challinor: We weren't always this ethical, you know
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6005>*
Now, here's a shock: the Foreign Office has not always told the truth.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6005

*Tim Howells: How our governments use terrorism to control us
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6004>*
The sponsorship of terrorism by western governments, targeting their own
populations, has been a taboo subject. Although major scandals have
received cursory coverage in the media, the subject has been allowed to
immediately disappear without discussion or investigation. Therefore the
appearance this year of two major studies of this subject is a welcome
breakthrough, and provides essential reading for anyone struggling to
understand the events of September 11, 2001 and the post September 11 world.

http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6004

*Mark Steel: The need for a modern free market in torture
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6003>*
Before long there'll be league tables so customers can decide which
torturer to attend
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6003

*Shannon Jones: Probe exposes criminal methods in Republican right
takeover of US Public TV
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6002>*
A report issued by the inspector general of the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting (CPB) reveals that its former chairman, Kenneth Tomlinson,
violated federal laws in his efforts to refashion public radio and
television as propaganda organs for the Republican right and the Bush
administration. The report suggests that the entire CPB board was to one
degree or another complicit in Tomlinson's actions.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=6002

*Wadah Khanfar: Why did you want to bomb me, Mr Bush and Mr Blair?
<http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=5999>*
Al-Jazeera's quest for answers has been met with silence from both the
White House and Downing Street
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=5999

*Stephen J. Lendman: Comments on Norman Finklestein's new book - 'Beyond
Chutzpah' <http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=5522>*
Dr. Finklestein knew full well because of his great credibility,
integrity and reputation for meticulous scholarship he would have to
brace for the inevitable assault against him after or even before
publication. It certainly came and quite viciously - cancelled scheduled
appearances to discuss his book, an effort to keep it from being
published and more.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=5522