We've been using MP3 players for our audio tour at Prestongrange Museum since April 2004. My main concern had been that visitors would find them too fiddly, but this has not proven to be the case. These were slightly more expensive than the USB sticks you can get so cheaply now, and actually have a display, but the operation is very straightforward.

They have a number of advantages for us. In particular, they are sufficiently robust for use across an open-air site, but small and light enough not to be a burden to visitors (this makes storage simpler too). We take credit card details or other deposit when that are handed out, though the use of them is free.

It has proved to be very popular with visitors -- staff-guided tours were limited to 4 per day, while the audio tour is available all day, and visitor feedback has been very positive.

We deliver the same tour via mobile phones also (again since April 2004), so it's available when the museum buildings are closed (the site being open 24/7/365) -- see <http://tour.prestongrange.org/>. We have plans for additional tours by mobile phone, alternate versions of the Prestongrange tour (other languages, one aimed specifically P6 - S2 students, etc), and also by selling downloads of the tours online for people to use on their own MP3 players (or whatever).

As regards protecting content when you've sold it online -- you do it in the same way you protect your content when you sell it in a book, poster, postcard or CD.

Best wishes

Pete
--
Peter M Gray
Museums Officer

Email Disclaimer - East Lothian Council
the sender and ensure it is deleted and not read copied or disclosed
to anyone else. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any
attachments for computer viruses or other defects. East Lothian
Council do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may
result from this email or any files attached. Email is not secure and
can be intercepted, corrupted or amended without the knowledge of the
sender. East Lothian Council do not accept liability for errors or
omissions arising as a result of interrupted or defective transmission.