I have a student, Barbara Lejeune, working on her MA Museum Studies
dissertation at UCL on this exact subject, so if anyone has information
please let me know.

When she completes it in mid September we'll be very happy to share the
results, in fact we're thinking of publishing it.

Suzanne

on 1/7/05 4:56 pm, Martin Bazley at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Dylan
>
> I welcome news of your study, as I am increasingly asked about evidence for
> the effect of increasing online access to collections, and would love to
> have some research findings to point people to!
>
> Often in such cases, there is an implied concern that 'giving away' too
> much online will dissipate people's desire to visit a museum - much as
> people fretted in the early days about any kind of web presence undermining
> real visits to museums.
>

> Martin
> ---
> Martin Bazley
> ICT4Learning
> 15 Margin Drive
> Wimbledon
> SW19 5HA
> 07803 580 727
> www.ICT4Learning.com
>
> At 10:13 01/07/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> We have recently completed a user impact evaluation of online digitisation
>> projects in Scottish museums. Part of this involved looking at the
>> relationship between online access to collections, and the effect this has
>> on physical visits to the museum.
>>
>> It was not a huge sample by any means (we looked at four case studies in
>> detail), and I still think more work needs to be done in this area. However,
>> the data we compiled did suggest that online access to collections provides
>> a showcase for the museum, generating demand for increased physical visits.
>>
>> As part of the research, users of museum web sites were asked whether they
>> agreed with a series of attitudinal statements. These included:
>>
>> "It is easier to use a web site like this than to go to a museum directly."
>> "This web site makes me want to visit the museum and find out more."
>> "I have been able to find more information here than I would have in a
>> museum."
>> "Using web sites like this is better than visiting museums."
>>
>> The results suggested that (not surprisingly) the main benefit of online
>> collections is that they remove some of the barriers to accessing the
>> physical collection. However, there was also a recognition among users of
>> the limitations of electronic access compared with an actual visit to a
>> museum.
>>
>> There was also a high level of agreement with the statement about visiting
>> the museum to find out more, which does suggest a positive link between the
>> online and the physical. Analysis of the visitor numbers to one of the
>> museums studied did generally support this.
>>
>> However, it has to be said that none of the museums we worked with reported
>> that putting their collection online had resulted in a service-crippling
>> influx of enquiries.
>>
>> We're hoping to publish the results of this study in the near future, so
>> I'll make sure that it goes on our web site. I'd be interested to hear if
>> anyone else has done something similar - as I said, our research was pretty
> [...]

EVA London conference July 2005: Call for Papers
The Foremost European Electronic Imaging Events in the Visual Arts
http://www.eva-conferences.com/eva/london/london2005/

Suzanne Keene
Museums and the information age
http://www.SuzanneKeene.net