Readers may find our experience at the Whitworth Art Gallery useful.

Last year we started to publish our exhibitions on-line, using our
collections management system, KE Emu.

We already provided object-based searches on our Collections Catalogue using
KE Emu, giving users detailed information on objects including images. This
new service provides exhibition-based searches, giving users exhibition
descriptions, text panels and labels linked to the objects in the Catalogue.

We are in the process of updating our web site so the following links within
our site will become out of date in the next few months but for now they
provide direct links to the relevant pages.

To browse exhibitions:
http://www.whitworth.man.ac.uk/coll_brow_exhib.htm
To search exhibitions, go to this page then choose Exhibitions Search
http://www.whitworth.man.ac.uk/coll_brow_cat.htm

We are publishing brief information on about 400 exhibitions dating back to
1958. About 100 of these are from our own collection and these "collection
exhibitions" have more extensive information such as descriptions, text
panels and labels. An example is "The Dazzled Eye". We have recently
catalogued a loan exhibition "Walter Sickert: Drawing is the thing" to see
how practical it is to publish certain loan exhibitions.

One of the unusual, possibly unique, features with this set up is that the
objects are linked to the exhibition in the Catalogue, so the description of
the object (artist, title etc) is current rather being taken from the
historic information. This is important for objects which for example have
changes of attribution, title or creation date.

Julian Tomlin Curator (Administration)
The Whitworth Art Gallery The University of Manchester Oxford Road
Manchester M15 6ER United Kingdom

Telephone: + 44 161 275 7450 Direct Line: + 44 161 275 7471
Fax: + 44 161 275 7451
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/whitworth