Jane,

I don't know the specific guidance from the PN site to which you
refer, but there are a couple of useful resources on this:

The W3C WAI guidelines on the ALT and LONGDESC tags are a good place
to start:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#image-text-equivalent

The RNIB provide some really sensible guidance on ALT-tag content at:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/pu
blic_alttext. hcsp

Finally, there is an excellent article on writing ALT content as well
as an in-depth look at the ALT attribute and other HTML4 attributes
for providing descriptive content:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/feature/art3.htm

Hope this helps!

Nick Poole
Director
MDA

On 14 Feb 2005 at 16:56, Sarre, Jane wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I seem to recall a page of advice about how to write good alt-tag
> descriptions on the old People's Network site. But, this has all
> changed and I can't find it anymore. Do any of you know where it is
> now - or know of any other good pages of advice about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jane
>

> Jane Sarre
> Access & Learning Officer
> Museum of London
> London Wall
> 150 London Wall
> London. EC2Y 5HN
> Tel: 020 7814 5772
> Fax: 020 7600 1058
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> www.museumoflondon.org.uk
>
> The London Look: Fashion from street to catwalk.  Extended until 10
> July 2005 Special web feature: www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonlook

Nick Poole
Director
MDA