Dear All,

Many thanks for the recent responses about classroom voting systems.  Our enthusiast backed off, but we’re thinking of getting one anyway to loan to academics.  I’ll let you know how we get on.

We’re thinking of videoing more lectures and presentations for distribution to students and staff who work and study off campus.  There is one department at QM who do something like this anyway for their DL programmes (if anyone wants a paper on how they set it up and how they maintain quality do email me).

Now my department want to do it for staff learning.  I have my own ideas about the worth of video vs. voice, and am unconvinced of the educational advantage.  However, the reality is we don’t have time for my envisaged ‘multimedia web radio’ solution, so we’re looking to video the presenters doing half hour lectures, and back these up with communication tools.  We don’t want to do this ourselves, as we want it to be broadcast standard.

Does anyone know of a good company we could approach who offer this service, either in a studio or in a suitable site on campus?  Also, are there any tools or approaches you would recommend?  Any software which you can then use to ‘bookmark’ areas of the video, or pause for MCQs, links and so forth?

In short, how should educational video or teaching be done today?

Any advice welcomed,

Sam

Sam Brenton

Senior Learning Technologist