True, it doesn't follow, but first impressions count, what ever we may think or wish, and stereotypes are sometimes, maybe always, based on some fact and reality. I don't advocate a uniform, but a certain style, appearance, appropriate dress is I think relevant, and does as I say give an impression, of us, our aptitudes, our interest in our selves and therefore perhaps in what we do.

To look as if you have just tumbled out of bed (for example), isn't good, or to appear odd or scruffy, (again generally speaking as what constitutes odd, I am sure I am considered odd in many ways), may be OK in private life, but does give the wrong impression (even if as you say the impression isn't always accurate).I know of may e.g.s of very able people who look rather different and untidy, OK if only in a back room though maybe? On the other hand if you are dealing with young people, one may wish to be  considered "in tune" with young style, without being over the top or contrived. It is quite a difficult area, maybe it is better to be oneself, or even bland? Needs more thought and consideration really.

On the other matter rather short-sighted and false premise really. Status comes with relevance to the organisation and community etc, (but even a high status doesn't always bring a high salary, e.g. community work, charity work etc). and the value of degrees has gone down over the years I imagine, and on its own isn't enough to warrant high pay and status. So much has changed, look at the decline in status of teachers, and the increase in degrees in media etc. its a changing world.

From: Chartered Library and Information Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Benjamin
Sent: 23 April 2005 16:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Faking It saga <Pamela Anderson>

Conversely, Frances, wearing a smart suit doesn't mean you're any good at the job - just that you like wearing smart suits.

Whilst not exactly on the poverty line as my wife earns considerably more than I do, I, too, was startled to find that after working 35 years in our "profession" I am still earning below the average wage.   Many years ago, I remember debating with a senior member of the LA on the need for librarianship to become a graduate profession.   Their main argument was that it would increase the status of librarians and with it, their pay.    Doesn't seem to have worked!

Mark Benjamin
9 Hencotes,
Hexham
NE46 2EQ