Conversely, Frances, wearing a smart suit doesn't mean you're any good at the job - just that you like wearing smart suits.

Whilst not exactly on the poverty line as my wife earns considerably more than I do, I, too, was startled to find that after working 35 years in our "profession" I am still earning below the average wage.   Many years ago, I remember debating with a senior member of the LA on the need for librarianship to become a graduate profession.   Their main argument was that it would increase the status of librarians and with it, their pay.    Doesn't seem to have worked!

Mark Benjamin
9 Hencotes,
Hexham
NE46 2EQ