To some extent, this makes Frances's point.  The post at the Royal Society
is benchmarked to the salaries of other department heads.  It is seen as a
managerial, rather than a professional job.  And the salary is much higher
than it was when I held the post five years ago!

I would like to see CILIP undertake a major benchmarking exercise against
other professions.  This worked for some female-dominated professions in
the health sector.  It would also be useful to establish the value of
information to the economy and to fields such as higher education.  I know
the British Library did an exercise on this for itself, but it looked
rather dodgy.

Mary