On a broader note, does anyone have any information about the evidence base
for banning mobile phones in hospitals?  I got a strong impression from
discussions with doctors while at the BMA that the doctor who walks the
wards these days without a live mobile phone in their pocket is a rare
beast.

When they became common (phones, that is, not doctors) I banned their use in
the BMA library.  In retrospect I'm hard pushed to explain why I did this
since the reading room is by no means a silent area and atleast with a phone
you only get half the conversation.  I'd just be very curious to know if
there's a defensible basis for this or if they are banned because grumpy old
men like me dislike novelty on principle and have the power to manifest that
dislike.

Tony

Tony McSeán
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier
+44 7795 960516
+44 1865 843630

Dear Colleagues,

One of our physicians is doing some research into cell phone use in
hospitals and is trying to discover which hospitals in Canada and the US are
currently permitting cell phone use inside their facilities.
I would be very grateful to hear from you if your facility allows cell phone
use.

Please reply directly to me and if anyone is interested,  I will happily
summarize for the list.

Please excuse the cross posting.

Deborah  Scott-Douglas
Director, Information Services
Canadian Medical Association
1867 Alta Vista Drive
Ottawa ON  K1G 3Y6

Email:   [log in to unmask]
Phone:  1 800 663-7336 x2144
Fax:      1 613 731-2076

Any information provided by CMA Information Services is not meant to
represent a comprehensive treatment of the topic and is subject to the
limits of the sources that are searched, including any inaccuracies that are
beyond our control.  Information Services is not responsible for any damages
arising out of reliance upon the information it provides.  This email is
privileged, confidential and subject to copyright.  Any unauthorized use or
disclosure is prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify me immediately and delete.
Les renseignements diffuses par les Services d'information de l'AMC ne
visent pas a couvrir integralement la question abordee et sont tributaires
des limites des sources consultees, ce qui comprend toute eventuelle
inexactitude echappant a notre controle.  Les Services d'information ne sont
nullement responsables de dommages, quels qu'ils soient, resultant de
l'utilisation des renseignements fournis.  Le present message electronique
est privilegie, confidentiel et assujetti au droit d'auteur.  Son
utilisation ou sa divulgation non autorisees sont interdites.  Si vous avez
recu ce message par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immediatement et l'effacer.