My goodness - they sound like toddlers, keep them away from skittles and ration their t.v!  I can see the BBC series know - "Exec tamers"
oh dear, J

Juliet Brown
Medical Librarian - Vale of Leven DGH
Never lend books, for no one ever returns them.  The only books I have in my library are books that other folks have leant me.
(Anatole France)
The information contained in this message may be confidential
or legally privileged and is intended for the addresseee only.
If you have received this message in error or there are any
problems, please notify the originator immediately.

The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is strictly forbidden.

>>> Roddham Mike <[log in to unmask]> 06/21/05 11:48am >>>
Dear Mary,

They are very different beasts.  Generally, if they ask for something they
need it within 30 minutes, before they move on to the next issue.  You may
then get a few days before they come back to it.  Quite often, normal
library routines can't cope with the timescales, so you'll need to give
personal attention to their requests.

They don't want to get published info themselves, they want someone to do it
for them.  They will be happy for you to act in this capacity once you've
proved you can do it.  Equally, if they ask for a document, it often isn't
because they want that document but that they have rationalised that the
information they seek might be within it.  It's worth probing to discover
exactly what they want.  E.g.  I was asked by our chairman for a copy of the
Public Meetings Act 1960.  He didn't want the act itself  but to see if
cameras were permitted in Board meetings, which was actually covered by our
Standing Orders.

They like alerting services as long as they are relevant.  Many are far too
general to be useful.

They like anything that takes routine work off their desk.  For example, I
deal with incoming circulars, guidance and reports for my CEO.  I collect
them from his in-tray (or from CEO's bulletin and other online sources),
summarise them, decide who should be responsible for dealing with them,
distribute, log the distribution and report to him and the Board directors
monthly.  I do the same job with clinical reports and guidelines, reporting
to the Clinical Governance C'tee.

Traditional library services don't hit the spot for CEOs!

Hope this helps