From: Sugden, Christine
Sent: 18 April 2005 13:23
To: LIHNN
Cc: Lis-medical
Subject: Setting up an Audio-Visual collection

We are having to “bite the bullet” and make some attempt to organise our really haphazard collection of videos, CD’s and DVDs which at the moment are just in a cupboard and filing cabinet!  The only thing I have decided so far is that they need to be shelved separately, and catalogued and classified on our Heritage system.

I could really do with some advice and help about the best way to organise such a collection - some of the areas that come to mind include:

  • Best type of shelving for CD’s and DVDs and any recommended stockists (I’d thought ordinary shelving would be okay for videos)
  • Do most libraries loan a/v material and what problems are there if you issue and you have a security sytem?

Are there any other things I need to be aware of – having never worked with a/v befor, any advice and tips are most welcome!

Christine

Christine Sugden

Library and Information Services Manager

Keyll Darree

DHSS Education and Training Centre

Braddan

Isle of Man