From: Richard Holmes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 August 2005 11:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Newpaper copyright

Following hot on the heels of Diane's summary yesterday regarding the NHS copyright licence not covering newspapers, I have just been asked by a PCT employee to get hold of an article from The Times. Does this mean that I am not legally allowed to ask any institution that may have a copy of that paper to send me a photocopy or scanned image? Although I haven't yet checked whether my own organisation has a separate licence to cover newspapers, I think it unlilely that anyone within it would have the relevant edition anyway. Looking at the Times Online I see we would have to pay £10 to acquire a single article!

For clarity, if an external organisation were to have the relevant edition to hand, and a licence to photocopy articles from it, would I be legally allowed to request and receive a copy?

In case it's of use, the article I've been asked to acquire is "Society's New Seven Deadly Sins", which apparently appeared in The Times on June 18th this year.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Richard.

Richard Holmes (Primary Care Librarian)
Lincolnshire Knowledge & Resource Service
Beech House
Witham Park
Waterside South
Lincoln
LN5 7JH

tel:     01522-550658 (library)
tel:     01522-550656 (Resources)
tel:     01522-550657 (Leaflets)
fax:    01522-516723 (both services)
Email:  [log in to unmask]   (the gap between 'library' and 'lkrs' is an underscore, not a space).

Note: We are a Microsoft Office site. Our base version is Office 2000. Please make sure that files you send can be read in this format.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly prohibited save unless expressly authorised by the sender.

The information contained in this message is intended for the named recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee, you may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender(s) immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete as soon as possible the message from your computer.

INFORMATION NOTICE

Please check for viruses before accessing this email and any attachments.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only to be seen and used by the named addressee(s). However, even if confidential the information contained within it may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act (2000), unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee, any use, disclosure, copying, alteration or forwarding of this email and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email or by telephoning 01342 414411 and permanently delete this email and any attachments from your system.

The views expressed within this email and any attachments are those of the writer and are not necessar ily the views or policie s of Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Except as required by law, the Trust shall not be responsible for any damage, loss or liability of any kind suffered in connection with this email and any attachments, or which may result from reliance on the contents of this email and any attachments.

Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Website: www.qvh.nhs.uk
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]