Copyright - The BL web site says, in relation to items supplied
electronically through the Copyright Fee Paid service -
 "you may not copy, store in any electronic medium or otherwise reproduce or
resell any of the content, even for internal purposes, except as may be
allowed by law." & that you can only print one paper copy
<http://www.bl.uk/services/document/edd.html#sed>
(http://www.bl.uk/services/document/edd.html#sed).

The Lancet's website has this -
"You may print or download Content from the Site for your own personal,
non-commercial use, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other
proprietary notices. You may not engage in systematic retrieval of Content
from the Site to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection,
compilation, database or directory without prior written permission from
Elsevier." ( http://www.thelancet.com/misc/terms
<http://www.thelancet.com/misc/terms> ) (my emphases) which I suspect will
not be very different from most publisher's conditions

searches on medline etc should be discouraged, using a personal database
compiled on one topic for information about another would not retrieve
highly relevant information; using it to retrieve information about the same
topic some months after it was originally compiled would result in relevant,
more recent information being missed.

Malcolm S. Dobson
Librarian
James B.P. Ferguson Library