From: Juliet brown [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 August 2005 10:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Change in job title

Heheheheheeee personally I love that title.  When my husband got a promotion
at work he was toldl he could pick his title and I suggested he was a
Professor of "clever things", he was not amused, he chose to be Prof of
numerical geosciences (how boring - but he does basically count gravel as a
living).  I wonder what a non information librarian does.... if I ever find
one I will have to ask.

Juliet Brown
Medical Librarian - Vale of Leven DGH
Never lend books, for no one ever returns them.  The only books I have in my
library are books that other folks have leant me.
(Anatole France)
The information contained in this message may be confidential
or legally privileged and is intended for the addresseee only.
If you have received this message in error or there are any
problems, please notify the originator immediately.

The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is strictly forbidden.

>>> "Gray, Geraldine" <[log in to unmask]> 08/03/05 10:55am >>>
Talking about Job titles, I agree with Malcolm it does sound like an amalgam
between porter/security and library assistant. Can I add another bete-noire
of mine...cannot say how much I am irritated by the title ..Information
Librarian

Geraldine

hmmmm floor assistants - an ideal job for a floozie called flo.  Sorry,
couldn't help that.  I'm suprised they don't ask for a bit of carpet laying
or polishing while they are at it.  Perhaps it is just a true reflection of
what people think.  Must be other wonderful titles out there for our jobs
cheers, J
(information carer?/wild book handler?)

Juliet Brown
Medical Librarian - Vale of Leven DGH
Never lend books, for no one ever returns them.  The only books I have in my
library are books that other folks have leant me.
(Anatole France)
The information contained in this message may be confidential
or legally privileged and is intended for the addresseee only.
If you have received this message in error or there are any
problems, please notify the originator immediately.

The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is strictly forbidden.

>>> Ann Brew <[log in to unmask]> 08/03/05 10:02am >>>

Hello,

Has anyone else seen this advert and been horrified by the completely
demeaning title ?

http://www.platform2recruit.co.uk/universityoflondon/pages/jobdetails.asp?id
=1490

Perhaps someone from the relevant department (Library, HR, Recruitment
Office ?) could explain in exactly what way a floor assistant differs from
a library assistant ? I've taken a look at the job description and it seems
suspiciously similar to library assistant tasks...

"You will work at the Membership and Circulation and Bibliographic
service-points performing a range of front of house and manual support
duties, including dealing with user enquiries, the issue, return and
renewal of books, servicing the Closed Stack collection, and moving
bookstock. You will also provide support across a range of routine
activities related to the maintenance of book stacks and the up-keep of the
library areas in general.
Previous experience of working in a customer service or similar environment
is required and you must possess a helpful and friendly demeanour combined
with the ability to undertake a number of tasks simultaneously in such a
way as to be immediately helpful to library visitors and users. A good team
member, able to work independently to meet set targets, you will have basic
keyboarding skills and the ability to acquire new skills on standard
library systems.
The duties of the post involve a requirement for the manual handling and
movement of furniture, equipment and library bookstock and some
Evening/Saturday duties."

Is this where the library profession is going ? Removing the word 'library'
from all our titles so people will never understand what we do ?

Ann-Emily Brew
Assistant Librarian

BMA Library
British Medical Association
BMA House
Tavistock Square
London
WC1H 9JP

the system manager mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.bma.org.uk

NHS Argyll and Clyde

The information contained in this message may be confidential
or legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this message in error or there are any
problems please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is strictly forbidden.
----
the system manager.
NetIQ's Mailmarshal for the presence of known computer viruses.

Queens Medical Centre
ICT Services
----
ID:QMCICT1

NHS Argyll and Clyde

The information contained in this message may be confidential
or legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this message in error or there are any
problems please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is strictly forbidden.

NHS Lanarkshire Confidentiality and Disclaimer Notice

The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

This email is intended only for the addressee named above and the contents should not be disclosed to any other person or copies taken. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of NHS Lanarkshire (NHSL) unless otherwise specifically stated.
As Internet communications are not secure NHSL do not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or responsibility for any change made to this message after the original sender sent it.

We advise you to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment, as we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of any software viruses.

If you have received this email in error, please forward the original email message for the attention of the system administrator at the following address: - [log in to unmask]