To: Academic Libraries / Electronic Information Providers:

Has anyone out there come across books which contain a scratch-panel revealing a pin number for online access to the book (ie. e-book version) with "interactive extras" - but for one user only? We have acquired one (Basic Immunology, Abbas & Lichtman, Saunders (Elsevier), 2004). This is "strictly for single user access ... sharing of passwords is strictly prohibited ..." If you have such things, how are you treating them? - I wonder. Presumably they cannot in any way be made fully accessible to all, nor can we decide who is going to be the lucky first borrower with the "interactive extras"; and how much do the subsequent users lose? Or perhaps books like this simply don't comply with our normal idea of a "library book".

Any thoughts?

Dr John Thomas,
Electronic Resources Librarian,
University of Wolverhampton