Dear Colleagues,

At the recent conference hosted by the British Library in May (CAMF
2005), we were able to  discuss a number of important issues surrounding
cellulose acetate microfilm collections and share our views and
experiences.  One issue that many of us seem to have, and which perhaps
requires more attention, is the amount of acetate service copies in our
collections.

Practical focus has tended to fall on acetate masters produced by
institutions, but many of us who have purchased positive microfilm (from
publishers and from other institutions) are likely to find that,
depending on the production/acquisition date, we have purchased large
quantities of acetate.

In order to try to quantify this problem, EROMM is proposing to set up
an acetate database so that all institutions can record and share
information specifically about series/collections of purchased service
copies and about distributors. We would welcome the views of the
international community at

this stage.

To see more information about the proposal and for an opportunity to
indicate your views as to whether or not you would find such a database
a useful tool in addressing the problem of cellulose acetate
collections, please visit the EROMM web site at
http://www.eromm.org/acetate_db.htm.

Please give us your views on this proposal until 15 August using the
brief questionnaire on this web page.

The EROMM Secretariat

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk