At the University of Leeds we are reviewing how we guide students to relevant websites for their studies.  At the moment we use a ROADS database (an eLib project), which allows us to build browsable subject hierarchies of relevant websites, and also provide a search interface to the websites we've indexed, currently in the region of 3000 sites.

The software we use is no longer supported and the server we use is reaching the end of its life, so we are looking for alternatives.  One option is for us to abandon a locally managed service and move to using the RDN.  However we do link to a number of sites, eg sites of local interest , that wouldn't make it into the RDN, so we are also interested in any alternatives that may exist.

We suspect this issue probably crops up in many other institutions. Do you have, or do you know of, a solution to this problem?  Are there any software products out there that would replace the functions of our ROADS database, or has everyone switched to using the RDN? How do you cope with sites that would only interest your own user population?

I'll try and produce a summary of responses for the list

Thanks

Martin Gill
Faculty Team Leader (Social Sciences)
Leeds University Library