> I am also confused to begin with you seem to be suggesting LRC have a
> restricted role and we should leave diversity to the public libraries
> (who locally do a great job in this area) but then you say "I'd have
> thought the rationale for an LRC should not be so very different from
> that for a library" - I'm not sure how what you were saying in the last
> paragraph sits with your earlier points.#

Sorry, Lindsay. Lumping FE and HE sectors together (I'll return to that
in a jiffy), I meant: "I'd have thought the rationale for an _FE/HE_
LRC should not be so very different from that for an _FE/HE_ library".
i.e. It did not seem appropriate to me that these institutions, as
opposed to public libraries, should spend funds on resources that were
of interest to various client constituent groupings simply because of
who they are.

Of course you're probably right to point out that I have underestimated
the difference in ethos, and maybe in funding priorities and
availability too, between the FE and HE sectors. I hope Laura will get
some feedback from other FE colleges, who may have a better insight into
FE collection building than I, but my gut reaction remains - that
educational institutions should spend funds on hard-edged educational
requirement rather than on resources whose primary merit would appear to
be that they might appeal to the narrow interests of client groups.
There are other institutions, such as public libraries, that can do this
better. As a tax payer, I'm not too happy with the notion that I should
contribute to colleges' ability to outdo each other in the popularity
stakes rather than their ability to promote good teaching and learning.